An option for window replacement is installing bay windows into your home. It is a practical and energy efficient choice that not only is decorative but also can increase the amount of space in a room. As with any project, it’s always helpful to understand the pros and cons involved with a window upgrade.
Pros of Bay Windows
Bay windows are made up of three windows and add a distinct look to the exterior of your home while enhancing its curb appeal. Additionally, bay windows will boost the value of your property because they will add extra square footage once they are installed.
Once the bay windows are installed, it will open any room to the view outside. There will be a considerable amount of natural light coming through the windows then with other window types. Also, these windows are made to be durable and require minimal maintenance.
Benefits of Bay Windows:
- Underneath the windows, you can enclose the extra space for extra storage.
- Put pillows in front of the windows to have a nice area for relaxing.
- Leave the floor space open in front of the window to showcase the larger room size.
- Decorate in front of the window plants or other decorative items.
Cons of Bay Windows
Bay windows are typically made up of one large picture window in the middle of a smaller window on each side. While the design of this type of window type is architecturally attractive inside and outside, there are some possible issues to take into consideration.
- Depending on what room the bay window is installed, it may receive more direct sunlight allowing more heat to come into the room. Although this can be ideal during the colder months to save on heating costs, it may require more work from the HVAC system during the warmer months. To easily take care of this issue, select energy-efficient windows made with double glass with an inert included between the panes to work as a barrier against the elements.
- Because of the unique design of bay windows, it may be challenging to find window treatments that easily work with the windows.
- The groundwork of your home needs to be structurally-sound to offer the proper support of the installation of bay windows.
Regardless if you choose bay windows or another window style for your home, there will be pros and cons with each type. Bay windows have many benefits that other windows don’t offer and can be a wonderful addition to any home. Our experts at Chicago Window Pros will help you by going over the different window options and sharing their benefits with you so you can make the best decision for your home.
Chicago Window Pros is known for being the Chicagoland area’s top window replacement company providing top quality windows at economical prices. To schedule an appointment or a window replacement estimate (888) 308-9050. You can also request a FREE QUOTE through our contact page.